My Impending Woody Allen Blogathon

3361682904_d0b750bfa1.jpg

Yes folks, the things I do for you. I am going to watch every Woody Allen film, in chronological order.

This may sound like an exercise in masochism, but I assure you this isn't so.

Until last year, the only movies I'd seen by Allen were Match Point, Scoop, Bananas and Company Man. None are considered his finest, though I enjoyed them all. But then I saw Annie Hall. And I really liked it. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I saw it again. And again. And again.

The first time I saw Annie Hall was right about the time I got seriously into movies again. (I actually wrote one of my first film reviews for this site on Annie Hall). And when you read serious film criticism, they cite a ton of Woody Allen's films. So then I watched Manhattan, which seems to be everyone's favorite. Not mine, but it was still great. Then I saw Sleeper, which has to be one of the funniest movies ever made.

Play It Again, Sam? Pure genius. And my favorite so far.

But the final straw was watching an old episode of Siskel and Ebert where they debated who was funnier: Mel Brooks or Woody Allen? At that point, I realized I'd seen almost every movie Mel Brooks ever made.

So now it's Woody Allen's turn.

I won't lie, I'm not looking forward to the early 80's. Or the late 80's. Or the early 90's. But it's gotta be done. And based on reviews, it seems that for every misstep there are two classics.

So join me on this journey through Allen's oeuvre.

This entry was posted on and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

2 Responses to “ My Impending Woody Allen Blogathon ”

  1. It's funny, I went through a brief phase in my teen years where I wanted to watch Woody Allen films because they were "smart". But I tried one (Annie Hall) and just couldn't get into it. That killed that journey.

    However, my Ingmar Bergman film marathon was much more successful, and I was the more thankful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend trying Annie Hall now. I can see how it just wouldn't make sense to teenagers.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.