I've probably given the more uncouth elements of the internet more consideration than they deserve, but as they say, beliefs don't count unless you still believe them when you're tested.
While I know that I am effectively the queen of my Oncoming Hope castle, I can't be persuaded to use my power to deny the citizens their rights, not without reason.
So I will never pre-moderate posts.
You know why? I've learned that some of the most antagonistic posts come from people who are genuinely looking for someone to hear them. It's amazing how civil some trolls are once you respond to them in an even-handed tone.
I also respect the self-policing nature of the internet. On more than one occasion, other commenters have stepped up in polite, even-handed ways to inform the rude of their rudeness (seriously, thanks).
I will say, right now, that unless you're sending me to a discount shoe store, I fully encourage leaving links to your own site in the comments. I've seen many bloggers righteously defend their right to not let people share links in the comments, and each time I wonder, "do you understand how the Internet works?"
The Internet is an ecosystem that can only grow and evolve when there is a free exchange of information. Necessarily, that information exchange should not be centered on one hub, otherwise you confer too much power on the owner of that hub. The Internet is meant to be democratic, and banning links is profoundly undemocratic.
THE RULES, MOST BENDABLE
So while I will allow people to say almost anything in the comments, there are a few things I will not tolerate. Feel free to challenge me in the comments to these posts if you have an issue, and I will leave it up in this space only.
1. You can be as rude to me as you want, but if you're ever rude to another commenter, delete.
2. If you make any gender-based comments that aren't in jest, delete.
3. Corollary to #2: misrepresent feminists in any shape or form, delete.
4. Actually, that thing that goes for gender? It goes for race too.
5. If you tell me to "stop overthinking, you should just enjoy it," delete. You clearly do not know what I am about, or what this site is about. You clearly also despise thought, and are one of those horrible people who think that being educated is being "elitist". Delete.
(seriously, I got a comment on a book review once that said: "Well, I LOVED the book. I didn't read too much into it, and I thought it was fun. How DARE you read into it beyond what the author wrote.")
Also known as, DELETE!
Powered by Blogger.